Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Don't mess with Texas

This is my last week of summer and I can't believe the summer has gone by so quickly!

John and I got back last week from our farthest, longest trip without any children. We went to Sam and James' house about 2 hours outside of Dallas. It was a great trip- we did a whole lot of nothin' at one of the most beautiful places I've ever been able to stay.

I guess when the kids aren't involved, I subconsciously assume I won't want to take pictures- I forgot the camera. We took some photos with James' camera and loaded them onto John's ipod only now we can't figure out how to get them on our computer.

...anyway, I have nothing visual to share from the trip.

I do, however, have some highlights I'd like to share:

-Hard 8. Where else do you pick your meal starting with the meat, have it dipped in butter, and pay by the pound and (if you're into this sort of thing) have all you can drink beer? Only in Texas, my friends.

-The cows were taunting. Their huge black eyes were full of malice and I think I narrowly escaped with my life.

-The stars at night ARE big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap) deep in the heart of Texas. I think we used to sing that song before the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance when I was in elementary school in Texas, but I saw that it is so true. I think we were somehow closer to them.

-Everything sounds better on vinyl.

-When I'm away from my kids for any amount of time, everything reminds me of them (but it was still a priceless break for all of us, I think).

-The Ikea store was designed by the devil.

Great trip, fabulous hosts, good times.

No comments: