Monday, January 11, 2010

Do unto others

My father is a very loving man. When I was younger, and even today, he is very good at being a dad and being affectionate. I love that about him. What a good example for a daughter to see a man hugging and kissing us and telling us how much he loves us. Not everyone gets that and he definitely set a standard for my choice for a husband and father of my kids.

I remember specifically when he'd have the task of waking me up for school in the morning, I'd wake up with him talking to me and touching my face or hair or something. I wasn't a parent, and I wasn't keen on being awakened at all, but today I cherish the memory and find the urge irresistible with my own kids as they're sleeping.

I love to watch them sleep. I love to touch their soft angelic faces and wonder what they're dreaming and if they can possibly know how much I love them. If I tried to do this during their consciousness, at least the older ones would say, "Oh, mommy!!" in embarrassment.

Kawika and Iwalani have been sneaking in bed with us. John and I are both sound sleepers so it's not unusual to wake up with two extra people in the bed (thank goodness we upgraded to the king size last year).

Last week I woke up and Iwa was four inches from my face, wide awake. She only spoke to say, "I just love you mommy," and went back to sleep. I woke up this morning at about 3a.m. for whatever reason and found that Kawika was awake, looking at me, stroking my face from temple to jaw and playing with my hair.

I know that over the years they will pick up many traits and habits from us- some good, some bad- but for what it's worth, I wouldn't trade this one for the world.

5 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Hi! Just sorta stumbled upon your blog. What a sweet story! And what an amazingly cute family.
Happy New Year.

npage79 said...

super sweet. good memories for you and them. i am with you, i can't quit touching my kids when they are sleeping. love it.

Anonymous said...

what a precious thing for your kids to say and do.. they're learning from the best!

Mary Elizabeth said...

That could be the sweetest post in blog history!

erin said...

Moments like that make it so worth it to be a parent. I also love to watch Finn sleep. Hope you have many more pleasant awakenings.