Sunday, December 7, 2008

My confession

Well, ladies and gentlemen... I have become a statistic.

Over the past three days I have completely neglected my children, my husband, meals, chores, and sleep to talk about, think about, (now post about) and read the book Twilight. I'm beginning to wonder if this Stephanie person knows some kind of linguistic voodoo to produce this kind of effect on her readers.

Admittedly, the book is a bit predictable, but the addiction wasn't. On the surface, it's kinda like Sweet Valley High books with vampires.... but sooooo much better. The thoughts of this girl from whose perspective the story comes are engrossing, producing feelings and reactions I haven't felt since high school. I giggled, I blushed, I said, "Oh, girl.. I know he didn't!"

....at least that's how it was for me... and millions of middle school girls the world over.

6 comments:

JNew said...

Twilight is an incomprehensible, impossible, and utterly irresistible addiction. And now I've seen the movie 4 times. Just like the book - it's pretty good, not really all that great, yet somehow completely addicting.

jennifer rogers said...

i loved the books and I made joe come to the movie and he actually liked the story line...i was shocked. I just hope that they get a bigger budget in the next film because it was definitely B movie quality! Glad you jumped on the bandwagon Liza!

erin said...

I'm a Twilight addict too. When a friend gave me a copy to read, I wasn't really that excited. I really had not heard anything about the series and had no clue that it would suck me in the way it did. I think I read the first 3 books within a week. I was at the midnight release of the fourth book and won a prize at the trivia contest at the bookstore. I was one of the older people there (besides the parents of the tweens) but I didn't care. Definitely addictive.

Wheatley Family said...

yes,,, yes... you are now one of us.

Leanne said...

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only upper-20-something who cant put this book down. I have 300 pages left of book 4 and I will not sleep tonight until I am finished...I cant wait to get home!

Sara said...

Liza,
last year around this time I had to read them for book club and ended up finishing the first 3 in a week and in august read the 4th book in one night. I wouldn't consider myself obsessed by any means, but I'm glad I can find other "mature adults" like yourself who can't keep their hands off the books either:)