Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let's catch up..

Part 1

A bit has happened since I last blogged. Honestly it's partly because I've felt short on words, and guilty about just dumping a bunch of photos on here, and partly because this month is FLYING by.

Here are some highlights:

*My oldest brother and his wife and their two adorable sons came to visit us for a while the beginning of the month. We had a great time getting to know the boys. I think Kawika was pleased to have other boys to play with, since normally he is surrounded by girls.

*On the 12th, Nani (John's cousin who I've been friends with since I was in 6th grade), the kids and I went out for the day. We came home and put the kids down for a nap. Leilea woke up around 4:30 and I started to feed her dinner. About that time, we were hit with some seriously gnarly storms. I was so glad that I was not alone with the kids when the tornado sirens started going off!

We had to retreat to our not so sizable bathroom. Leilea just continued dinner in there. Kawika was taken from his bed in the middle of a much needed nap so he was pretty whiny. Iwa, my hardest sleeper, was sleeping so soundly that we put her in the tub, pillow, blanket and all, and she continued to sleep even an hour after the storms cleared and we left the bathroom.
(Don't you just love our harvest gold shower? We sure do.) When she woke up, she stumbled out of the bathroom and John, Nani, and I were messing with her, asking her how she got there- why she was sleeping in the tub. She had no idea so we really had to explain it to her. I don't THINK anyone has told her about black market organ harvesting but she was pretty freaked out that she fell asleep in her bed and woke up in a bathtub.

*The 14th of this month marked 6 years of marriage for John and me. Wow.

*I have been training for a 5K. I know, I know.... you're probably looking at the blog title again to make sure this is really me. Well, during soccer practice I found that running isn't too bad.

Also, my gym teacher friends introduced me to a podcast called Podrunner. It's basically techno music that you're supposed to keep up with- you run to the beat. I think it's a great idea because I find myself doing this when I just walk with music in my ears.

Podrunner has a 9 week running program that is designed to take you from not running at all to being able to run a 5K (3.2 miles). It's been pretty fun because I can tell a noticeable difference but even after 5 weeks I can feel my muscles wondering why the hell we have to move so fast.

I hope to find a real live 5K to run when I'm done. I'll let you know how that goes sometime in July or August.

*Finally, we just got back from our first road trip vacation as a family of 5. We went to Kansas City for a family reunion. That's more or less what the next few posts will be about.

to be continued.....

2 comments:

erin said...

Good luck with the 5k. I'm going to have to try that podcast. I've been wanting to get back into running and would also like to do some 5k's. Maybe we can do one together in Memphis sometime. I will not, however, do one anytime during July, August or September - way too hot for me.

Leanne said...

Hey, I think its great that your training for a 5k. You can find all types of races in your area at this link. http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinder/1,,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0,00.html
Good luck!