Wednesday, October 21, 2009

AH-mazing

Jackson Falls, Illinois.

Seriously, this place is amazing. No bathrooms, no electricity, and the only running water is the stream and waterfalls that run through the park. John has been coming here about once a year to climb for quite some time but I've never wanted to encroach on his "man trip", with the image of war paint and loin cloths forefront in my decision.

No one else's wives/girlfriends cared to go and I'm not much of a climber.

This year we planned a trip and invited Buck and Mary Margaret. They were down for it so off we went.

This is the north falls. You can either rappel to get down here or hike several miles around. We hiked it the first day and rappelled the second.

During the hike. This is me rappelling for the first time.
John climbing up the rope harness-free.
Mary Margaret giving it a whirl, Buck helping.
Looking down into the north falls. This is from the top of the cliff from the first picture. You can see the top of the waterfall in the bottom left corner.
The night hike. After rappelling and hiking around here, I have a new fitness goal: now that I can run, I want to climb. I really stink at it now, so I have some work ahead but I'd love to go back next year and tackle some of those rocks.

No comments: