Friday, October 9, 2009

Sprechen Sie Kawika?

Last week Kawika was sick with a crazy high fever. We took him to the pediatrician and then to the urgent care center. The urgent care center was down the road from Best Buy, and Nani being who she is came by with snacks after she got off work. Not only did she bring snacks, but she brought Kawika the movie Monsters Vs. Aliens. He was thrilled.



We NEVER let the kids watch DVD's in the car unless we're on a road trip... and apparently unless they've had a 105 fever. Sick kids get special treatment. Anyway, we let him watch the movie on the way home from urgent care. (it was just a wicked sinus infection, by the way, he's fine now)



It was late at night and Iwa was at Grandma Ann's. Before I went in to get her, we hid the movie and all traces of it so that she wouldn't want to watch it before she went to bed. I don't mind saying no, but I'll avoid a conflict if I can.



So, with the Monsters paraphenalia well hidden, Iwa gets in the car and greets everyone. Immediately, Kawika starts spouting his regular jibberish excitedly at Iwa. She's listening intently to what John and I can only interpret as, "blah, be dada me la... " Jibberish. There's a pause and Iwa says:



"What's this about a monster movie?"

5 comments:

Ann said...

That's one of my favorite Iwa stories!! Another is "Natalie, you forgot your frog".

jennifer rogers said...

that is too funny!

Natalie said...

My brother translated for me for so long that when my mom finally told him to stop, I could speak full sentences on my own. But I didn't ever gibber talk, I would just point and have Pete do the talking.

I want to hear the frog story Ann is referring to!

JNew said...

that's hilarious! frank sometimes translates for george, and i know some of my nieces and nephews have to translate for their younger siblings too.

Ann said...

Natalie, it was at the hospital when Leilea was born. Iwa didn't want you to forget the frog you brought because she had bought a kitty for the baby. Eliza finally told her it was Leilea's birthday and she could keep both stuffed animals.