Saturday, October 4, 2008

The ol' morning routine.

My mom loved this story, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

About a year ago, Iwa realized that since she was in a big girl bed, she could get out at all hours of the night and spend who knows how long watching mommy and daddy sleep. As sweet as this was, it was the creepiest thing I'd ever experienced, so we made it a little more difficult for her to leave her room on her own. Besides, who knows what shenanigans she could get into in the house, unsupervised at 3a.m.

Anyway, one of the first nights John and I had been home from the hospital after I had Leilea, Iwalani woke up in the night and he went to check on her. He also left her door cracked and I didn't know. The next morning, I woke up to the sound of someone letting General out- one of the first things we always do when John or I wake up... but John was still in bed with me. I waited to see if I had been dreaming and then heard his food bowl being filled.

I knew it must have been Iwa so I thought her next stop would be our room to wake us up or stare at us (you know- for old time's sake) but I waited and waited and nothing. Curious, and a little nervous, I looked out in the living room to see her in her Ariel jammies sitting on the couch by the coffee table with everything but the Sunday paper and a cuppa joe. She was so grown up I wanted to turn the news on for her or something.

Now if we can just get her to fill out those job applications I've been gathering for her...

3 comments:

JNew said...

cute, what an independent little thing!

Mary Elizabeth said...

I feel like she is very advanced!

jennifer rogers said...

hey liza,
that girl is so funny! I love all her little stories she's a mess....we missed ya'll this weekend! I hope that Leilea is doing well she is so pretty and we don't think she looks like either of the other two! She might even have dark skin! I tried to call you tonight but the only phone number that I have is John's cell. I wanna talk to ya as soon as you get a minute! Love you guys and we'll see ya soon!